Both posts include this fact list:
- The gastrointestinal system comprises 75% of the body’s immune system.
- There are more neurons in the small intestine than in the entire spinal cord.
- It is the only system in the body that has its own, independently operating nervous system, called the enteric nervous system.
- If you stretched out the gastrointestinal system in its entirety, it would have the surface area of a regulation sized singles tennis court.
- There are over 400 species of microbes living in your gut, totaling over 15 pounds of mass and containing more bacteria than there are known stars in the sky.
If you want to get really depressed about what you have most likely been doing to your body, check out the video in the PN blog post. All of this is something to consider when you are thinking about what types of foods you want to eat prior to a game, or tournament.
You stay healthy, Internet.